Jul 08, 2016
The Datto Blog's Biggest Ransomware Headlines Of 2016
As we approach the midpoint of 2016, it’s a good time to take a look at the top ransomware stories that have popped up over the past six months:
- Cryptolocker holds a UK council hostage for £1 million a County Council in the United Kingdom was under Cryptolocker’s stranglehold, as the cyber-criminals behind viruses like this search for bigger prey
- Childen’s charity avoids a downtime nightmare 4Children managed to save themselves from a staggering £14,42-per-hour downtime cost thanks to Datto.
- MedStar Health hit with ransomware: A ransom demand was not disclosed in this case, however the hospital was forced to turn away patients while it regained access to encrypted files.
- Hackers demanded multiple payments in an attack on Kansas Heart Hospital: While hospitals being hit with ransomware is anything but new at this point, this was a particularly unique scenario. After the hospital paid the initial ransom, the hackers refused to encrypt the data and demanded additional payments.
- ZCryptor: the self propagating ransomware emerged: Ransomware is scary enough as it is. Now, there are strains with worm-like behavior that can replicate from one drive to another.
- Crysis Ransomware hits the scene: Among the latest of the ransomware threats, Crysis is slowly making a move to the top of the food chain. While it is still considered low key on the scale of ransomware threats, Crysis can exfiltrate data and credentials, can spread through email, and can be disguised as an installer. Oh yea, did we mention it can infect PC and Mac?
While it may look like a pretty gloomy 2016, it isn’t all bad. With a few quick tips, you can be in better hands and protect your sensitive data. With a proper business continuity and disaster recovery (BCDR) solution and an up-to-date and robust antivirus software, you can prevent data loss from ransomware..
Our eBook: The Business Guide to Ransomware, provides everything you need to know to protect yourself from ransomware—information on the top threats, how malware is spread and best practices to protect yourself. Download it today!