SMBs are investing in protection with network and cloud security topping the list.
NORWALK – January 17, 2023 – Datto, a Kaseya company, and a leading global provider of security and cloud-based software solutions purpose-built for managed service providers (MSPs), today released its 2023 State of Ransomware report, which surveyed nearly 3,000 IT professionals in small to medium-sized businesses across eight countries (the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany, the Netherlands, Australia, New Zealand, and Singapore). The report shows that SMBs are aware of increasing cyber threats and allocating resources and investing in areas such as network and cloud security.
Key takeaways from this year’s survey include:
- About a fifth of IT budget is dedicated to security and many are seeing increases in budgets. 47% of SMBs plan to invest in network security in the next year.
- Over 50% of SMBs have implemented AV and email/spam protection, with network and cloud security as the top areas planned for investment in the next year.
- 37% of respondents run IT security vulnerability assessments three or more times a year, with 62% running them at least twice a year.
- 69% of SMBs currently have cyber insurance and 34% of those without cyber insurance are highly likely to get it in the next year.
- 42% of SMBs with cyber insurance think it’s extremely likely that a ransomware attack will happen in the next year, while only 16% of SMBs without cyber insurance think the same.
“We're seeing many businesses take more steps to protect themselves against threat actors,” said Chris McKie, VP of Product Marketing for Security and Networking Solutions. “Whether they’re investing in new security products or utilizing multiple security frameworks, most SMBs realize the very real threat that ransomware poses for their business, and they’re doing what they can to keep themselves safe.”
Only 3 in 10 of SMBs have a best-in-class recovery plan in place, with 52% of them claiming they have a standard recovery plan in place. MSPs can help their clients improve their disaster recovery plan by building out their security and backup offerings or requiring clients to have cyber insurance. Cyber insurance can offset the risks of potential breaches, something which became increasingly more important when many SMBs accelerated their digital transformation efforts during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Additional insightful findings:
- Rather be phishing. Compared to ransomware, respondents think phishing is more likely to occur in the next year. Many think this is the better alternative, as they believe its impact is lower than the impact of ransomware.
- Getting insured. Organizations with cyber insurance are more actively engaged in their cybersecurity. They have more IT support, more cybersecurity frameworks (CSFs), and more security solutions. They’re also more likely to have experienced a cyber security incident in the past.
- The right frame of mind. CIS framework is the most used cybersecurity framework, with 34% of respondents utilizing it. This is followed by CMMC (30%), COBIT (27%), and NIST (22%).
For the past seven years, Datto has surveyed IT professionals worldwide to gain insight into industry trends so that knowledge can then be shared with the IT community to better understand and service customers.
Click here to download the full report 2023 State of Ransomware report.
Kaseya is the leading provider of unified IT & security management software for IT professionals in managed service providers (MSPs) and mid-market enterprises (MMEs). Through its customer-centric approach and renowned support, Kaseya delivers best-in-breed technologies that empower organizations to seamlessly manage IT infrastructure, secure networks, backup critical data, manage service operations, and grow their businesses. Kaseya offers a broad array of IT management solutions, including well-known names: ConnectBooster, Datto, Graphus, ID Agent, IT Glue, Kaseya, RapidFire Tools, RocketCyber, Spanning Cloud Apps, TruMethods and Unitrends. These innovative solutions fuel Kaseya’s IT Complete platform, which is designed to maximize efficiencies and enable businesses through a single pane of glass. IT Complete empowers IT professionals to centrally command hardware, software, security, data, compliance, operations and more from within a comprehensive, integrated, intelligent (AI utilization-optimized), and affordable platform. Headquartered in Miami, Florida, Kaseya is privately held with a global presence in over 25 countries. To learn more, visit https://www.kaseya.com/.
As a leading global provider of security and cloud-based software solutions purpose-built for Managed Service Providers (MSPs), Datto, a Kaseya Company, believes there is no limit to what small and medium businesses (SMBs) can achieve with the right technology. Datto’s proven Unified Continuity, Networking, Endpoint Management, and Business Management solutions drive cyber resilience, efficiency, and growth for MSPs. Delivered via an integrated platform, Datto’s solutions help its global ecosystem of MSP partners serve over one million businesses around the world. From proactive dynamic detection and prevention to fast, flexible recovery from cyber incidents, Datto’s solutions defend against costly downtime and data loss in servers, virtual machines, cloud applications, or anywhere data resides. Since its founding in 2007, Datto has won numerous awards for its product excellence, superior technical support, rapid growth, and for fostering an outstanding workplace. With headquarters in Miami, Florida, Datto has global offices in Norwalk, Connecticut, as well as Australia, Canada, Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom. Learn more at www.datto.com.