Datto, the world’s leading provider of IT solutions delivered through managed service providers, is looking for a Principal Infrastructure Architect to join a growing team. Datto is a creative company at its core and is an exciting and dynamic workplace. We're 100% focused on our managed service provider partners and believe that with the right technology, managed service providers can change how businesses around the world operate. Datto provides data protection, business continuity, networking, business management, and file backup and sync products that empower and protect the clients of our 17,000+ partners. We're headquartered in Norwalk, Connecticut and have 22 offices worldwide.
More than someone who checks every box, we’re looking for people who are excited to work and grow at Datto. If that's you we hope you apply for the role!
You enjoy teamwork
You come with new ideas and a unique point of view. You look forward to collaborating with a diverse team. You eagerly seek and give help. Transparency tops your list of values, and you contribute to a culture of respect and inclusion.
Inquisitive and focused, you see every challenge as an opportunity. You would rather create the future than wait for it.
You’re customer-focused and take pride in your work.
You put extra attention into details with all you do. You care about the work you provide to customers and how it reflects on yourself and Datto. When you find or see something wrong, you attempt to resolve it. You look for opportunities to not only better yourself, but others around you. You aim to be the best that you can be and always do the right thing.
What You’ll Do
As the Principal Infrastructure Architect you’ll have primary responsibility for the architecture of the Datto Cloud, the core infrastructure that supports our mission critical software services. You’ll work across the organization to design, develop, and implement an architecture that is scalable, cost effective, high performing, and secure. You’ll partner closely with Datto’s software engineering teams to ensure the joint success of our offerings.
One of the key challenges will be to upgrade and update our existing infrastructure while maintaining the reliability and durability our partners have come to expect. You will ensure a high level of service while delivering business value and ensuring a broad adoption of tools and services across Engineering.
This is an individual contributor position that will require strong leadership skills to influence peer groups and others cross functionally.
Your job function and responsibilities include:
- Perform in the capacity of a Chief Architect for the infrastructure platform that powers the Datto Cloud; while having final decision making authority of platform architecture you will influence and build consensus whenever possible.
- In conjunction with the executive leader of the team, develop a strategy and execution plan for the next generation platform architecture
- Be a trusted advisor and close partner to the VP Infrastructure Engineering
- Work closely with each of the individual infrastructure teams providing guidance and support as necessary
- Work closely with all of the software engineering teams ensuring that the architecture of the Datto Cloud meets the needs of our product portfolio holistically
- Help recruit and maintain excellent and diverse engineering talent
- Ensure technology decisions align with architecture standards and strategies
- Drive results through regular leadership and mentoring others
- Maintain the highest levels of infrastructure and service reliability, durability, and security which our partners rely on and expect from Datto
- Participate and collaborate cross functionally with groups such as product management, sales, customer success, support, and finance incorporating feedback from these stakeholders back into the overall infrastructure platform and operation
- Scale the organization and infrastructure platform reducing human intervention as needed by automating any repetitive operational activities and measuring normal operation of the platform
- Be a positive role model that others want to follow and be inspired by
- Identify gaps in processes and tasks. Be an advocate of new ideas to drive continuous improvement.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a closely related concentration
- Significant experience architecting and implementing a mission critical infrastructure platform supporting a software service; demonstrated experience in a technical leadership capacity
- Experience developing and executing a plan to upgrade existing infrastructure while maintaining a high level of service to existing customers
- Up-to-date knowledge of emerging technologies, open source projects, and public cloud offerings
- Significant experience and expertise in compute, storage, and networking with a deep concentration in at least 1 of them
- Experience with all aspects of software defined infrastructure (e.g. hypervisors, containers, SDN, SDS, NFV, etc.)
- An understanding of and a desire to adopt and implement hyperscale infrastructure design patterns
- Previously implemented a private cloud using OpenStack (preferred) or an alternate cloud platform at scale - both horizontal and vertical scale (large installations and multiple distributed sites)
- Experience with 1 or more public cloud platforms supporting a software service
- Intimate knowledge of Containers/Docker, Kubernetes, and microservice architectures
- Knowledge of Kubernetes and container management platforms such as OpenShift, Google Anthos, Rancher, or public cloud Kubernetes management (e.g. AWS EKS)
- Ability to develop scripts in Python or another comparable scripting/programming language
- Experience with 1 or more orchestration / configuration management platforms (e.g. Ansible, Salt Stack, Puppet)
- Strong understanding of infrastructure as code; hands on experience with Terraform and/or an alternate IaC tool set
- Comfortable working in an all Linux environment and embrace the use of open source software
- Proven success in mentoring junior engineers to improve standards and reduce defects in dynamic environments
- A highly driven leader that is known to deliver in high growth and highly dynamic environments
- Strong security fundamentals; quality and security first mindset
- Familiar with standard tools and platforms that enable continuous delivery such as GitLab, Jenkins, Artifactory, Jira, etc.
- Strong tendency to automate and monitor everything
- Excellent Communication Skills
Note: We are looking only for candidates willing to join us directly as W2 employees (No 3rd party candidates)
At Datto, we believe our employees are our greatest asset and offer all full-time employees a wide-ranging benefits package, including:
- Comprehensive health-care benefits
- Free lunch every Friday
- Flexible paid time off policy
- Free food, drinks, and fresh organic fruit
- Fitness reimbursement
- Charity match program
- Education reimbursement
- And more!
By submitting an application, you acknowledge we will process your data in order to consider you for the position you apply for and for other open positions within our company for which you may be suited. We collect and store your data in accordance with our Recruiting Privacy Practices.
Datto is an equal opportunity employer.