March 09, 2021
Uncover What’s on Your Network with Datto RMM's IT Asset Discovery Tool
What is Asset Discovery?
IT asset discovery is a process to find and document assets that are connected to the network. Asset discovery tools provide an automated solution for an accurate inventory of all the hardware and software on the network or environment.
Automate and Manage Your Network Assets with Datto RMM Asset Discovery Tools
As a managed service provider (MSP) you know that managing a client's networks can be a complicated process. It’s essential to be able to monitor, support, and secure anything that is connected to a network to minimize any security risks.
However, it’s no longer enough just to know what’s on the network. As an MSP, you need to understand the relationships between the devices and services that keep your customers up and running.
Datto RMM’s built-in asset discovery and management tool offers real-time visibility of every asset connected to a network. The tool is able to locate every asset including those not already under your management in Datto RMM.
Datto RMM provides:
- Insightful discovery.
Instantly view all discovered devices on the network, where they are located, and their current status.
- Faster troubleshooting.
View essential network information at a glance, with open alerts represented on devices and the impact they have on each other. Technicians can quickly navigate to any device, gather critical information, and set up a remote connection with a single click.
- Mitigation of potential issues.
Technicians don’t just see the endpoints in isolation. Datto RMM’s Network Topology maps illustrate the relationships between all devices on the network, allowing you to gauge the impact of a change before it’s made.
Datto RMM helps MSPs manage the complexity, costs, and risks associated with supporting your client endpoints. Whether managing a single endpoint or hundreds of thousands of endpoints, Datto RMM helps MSPs keep their supported estate secured, patched, stable, and functioning.
Benefits of using asset discovery tools?
The use of spreadsheets to track devices and software in a complex network is no longer an option. The use of automated IT Asset management provides the MSP with a solution to:
- Reduce costs: Prepare information remotely, automate and identify what is not being managed, simplify monitoring and managing for recurring processes, and assess future requirements.
- Mitigate risk: Quickly identify what’s not being managed and where potential risks lie
- Manage devices: Understand compliance status of managed devices, and uncover previously missed opportunities to manage new devices
How to get started with RMM Asset Discovery
Datto RMM will obtain the following information from devices on the network including routers, switches, and IoT devices:
- Operating system
- Device type
- IP addresses
- MAC addresses
- Used uplink port
- Relationships between the device and the networking infrastructure
- Whether the device is being managed by Datto RMM and open alerts
Datto RMM’s IT asset discovery tool empowers managed service providers' ability to continuously discover and identify every device on the network - not just those managed with Datto RMM - generating a visual layout of the network to show how devices are connected to each other, and quickly identifying where issues are on the network.
Which systems does the Datto RMM Support?
Datto RMM supports systems running on:
- Windows 7 SP1 with Windows Updates KB2999226 and KB2533623 installed
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 with Windows Updates KB2999226 and KB2533623 installed
- Windows 8.1 with Windows Update KB2999226 installed
- Windows Server 2012 R2 with Windows Update KB2999226 installed
- Windows 10 with .NET Core 3.1
- Windows Server 2016 with .NET Core 3.1
- Windows Server 2019 with .NET Core 3.1
- Linux with .NET Core 3.1
- macOS with .NET Core 3.1