October 10, 2018
Hurricane Michael: Tips to Prepare Your Business
Florida has declared a state of emergency as Hurricane Michael approaches. The storm is currently hitting Cuba with heavy rain and winds and is expected to reach the United States. As of Wednesday afternoon, Michael is a category 4 hurricane, on the brink of reaching category 5.
After securing one’s personal safety and home, it’s also important to take into account the impact Michael could have on local businesses. If time allows, preparing one’s business will help those impacted get back to work following the storm.
The Datto DRT
The Datto Disaster Response Team will deploy October 10 and embed in the Tallahassee area. The team will be equipped with a supply of DNAs and other devices to assist partners.
DRT Contact Information:
Tips to Prepare
Here are a few business continuity tips for local businesses as this storm approaches:
- Create a phone tree for your organization and stay in touch.
- Have a plan and contingencies.
- What do you need to take from your office?
- How will you support your customers, and from where?
- Send out the storm plan to your employees, customers and partners. Include a communications schedule and stick to it.
- Send an update to employees every few hours with what you know and don’t know.
- Send updates to customers, partners and suppliers with updates that affect them regularly.
- If your business cannot withstand a period of lengthy downtime, secure a facility further inland for you and your employees or ensure everyone is able to work remotely.
- Tropical storms can put data centers out of commission. Make sure your business data, backups, applications, and server images are stored off-site.
- Your IT professionals will be able to restore systems either virtually via the cloud or at the site where you’re resuming operations.
- If time allows, test the backups of crucial servers before the storm hits.
For more tips and information on how to protect from natural disasters, check out our eBook: The Natural Disaster Survival Guide For Businesses.