Jun 05, 2019
What Is Business Continuity?
Business continuity is more than just backup. It involves thinking about the business on a higher level. Business continuity is the process, policies, and procedures related to preparing for recovery or continuation of technology infrastructure critical to an organization after a natural or human-induced disaster.
Disaster recovery is a subset of business continuity. While business continuity involves planning for keeping all aspects of a business functioning in the midst of disruptive events, disaster recovery focuses on the IT or technology systems that support business functions.
A Complete Business Continuity Solution
A proper business continuity solution should proactively protect clients' systems and data against disasters of all type. An MSP should offer a business continuity solution that can rescue businesses and get them back online within minutes of any of these disasters:
- Hardware and software failures
- Natural disasters
- Unintentional human error or malicious actions
- Ransomware and other cybersecurity threats
What to Look for in a Business Continuity a Solution
Here are some more key things to consider when looking for a solution:
- Hybrid cloud backup: A hybrid approach fixes the vulnerabilities that a cloud-only or local-only possess.
- Superior RTO and RPO: Think in terms of business continuity rather than simply backup, and calculate how much downtime your business can endure and still survive (RTO) as well as how much data you can afford to lose (RPO). Learn more about RTO and RPO with our calculator.
- Image-based backup: Make sure that the backup solution takes images of all data and systems rather than simply copying the files.
To learn more about business continuity and how it differs from backup, check out our eBook.