February 22, 2021
Why RMM is Crucial for MSPs to Fight Ransomware
There are countless tools available to managed service providers (MSPs) to help them mitigate the risk of ransomware for themselves and their small and medium business (SMB) clients. There’s no single solution that can completely prevent a business from an attack, but rather many that work together.
The first thing that may come to mind when you think of “ransomware protection” is antivirus. Antivirus is absolutely important in detecting malware in your clients’ infrastructure, but it’s not the only tool that MSPs can utilise to protect clients. Remote monitoring and management (RMM) tools can also play a critical role when forming a ransomware protection plan.
RMM tools help protect client endpoints by enabling MSPs to:
- Monitor installed applications and perform updates
- Automatically block or uninstall restricted applications
- Proactively fix issues before problems arise
- Remotely resolve problems for a faster solution
- Deploy endpoint security products, including for BYODs
Datto RMM Ransomware Detection
Datto RMM is a secure and fully-featured cloud platform enabling MSPs to remotely monitor, manage and support every endpoint under contract. Datto RMM now provides an extra layer of security with native ransomware detection. Datto RMM monitors for the existence of crypto-ransomware on endpoints using behavioral analysis of files and alerts you when a device is infected. With RMM Ransomware Detection, MSPs reap these benefits:
- Monitor for ransomware at scale. Datto RMM’s powerful policy-driven approach allows you to easily monitor targeted devices and specify what the monitor looks for before creating an alert (e.g. locations, extensions, priority of alerts).
- Receive immediate notification when ransomware is detected. Instead of waiting for a user to report the issue, Datto RMM will automatically notify technicians the moment files start being encrypted by ransomware. Additionally, integrations with key MSP tools, such as PSA, ensure the right resources can be notified and tickets created immediately.
- Prevent the spread of ransomware through network isolation. Once ransomware is detected, Datto RMM can automatically quarantine the affected device from the rest of the network.
- Remediate issues remotely. Devices automatically isolated from the network still maintain contact with Datto RMM, allowing technicians to take effective action to resolve the issue.
To learn more about the ransomware risk MSPs and their clients face and how RMM tools can help prevent becoming a victim, take a look at our infographic, RMM is Key in the Fight Against Ransomware. Download your own copy of the infographic and receive additional RMM resources.