May 18, 2016
Is Your LinkedIn Account Safe?
Whether it’s a personal LinkedIn account or a company account, you’ve taken the time to curate it and build connections. The last thing you want is to compromise it and allow your personal information to be spread across the Internet by hackers.
117 million email and passwords for LinkedIn accounts are up for sale on a dark web marketplace called The Real Deal. This breach can be traced back to the 2012 LinkedIn hack, according to Motherboard. Therefore, this is a perfect opportunity to change your password to protect your account.
According to a statement from LinkedIn, “we are taking immediate steps to invalidate the passwords of the accounts impacted, and we will contact those members to reset their passwords. We have no indication that this is as a result of a new security breach.”
Some quick tips from LinkedIn include:
- Don’t use the same password across all the sites you visit
- Never share your password with others
- Reset your password often
- Install antivirus software on your computer and keep it up to date
- Only connect with people you know and trust