August 31, 2016
How To Teach Your Customers About Ransomware
Ransomware has made backup and security inseparable—each play an important role in protecting against the cybersecurity threat. As a trusted IT advisor, you can help clients understand that a proper business protection strategy requires a three-pronged approach of education, security and backup.
- Education: Make sure that your customers know about the rise in ransomware incidents and have tools and a strategy in place to educate their entire organization. For example, all current and new employees should have to go through some type of basic cyber security training. During this training, SMBs should provide specific visual examples of what a phishing email looks like, which is one of the leading causes of a ransomware infection. All employees should know how to spot a malicious email and know exactly what to do if they do encounter a potential ransomware lure (i.e. don’t open attachments, if you see something, say something, etc.). This is an essential part of protecting your clients against attacks and it should become a fundamental practice in any business today.
- Security: When it comes to defending systems against ransomware, antivirus software is essential for any business. Firewall and web filtering are also a must. Most security vendors recommend this type of multi-layered approach to protect against ransomware. Many of your clients probably already understand this, as well. What they probably don’t realize is that these security measures are not foolproof. MSPs should also talk to clients about the importance of keeping all software patched and up-to-date in order to protect the business against newly identified threats. Finally, make sure customers understand the need for an additional layer of business protection in the not-so-rare case that ransomware does make it through the front lines of defense. Explain to your clients that even with these proactive security measures, breaches still occur. That’s where a backup and recovery solution comes in.
- Backup: Modern total data protection solutions, like Datto, take snapshot-based, incremental backups as frequently as every five minutes to create a series of recovery points and allow businesses to run applications from backup copies of virtual machines. While your clients likely won’t care or understand that sort of technical deep dive the way that you would, what they do care about is the benefits (and peace of mind!) a solution like Datto can deliver.
Focus on the benefits of Datto rather than the features and innovation of the technology. When it comes to the threat of ransomware, the benefits of a data protection solution such as Datto are three-fold:
- Your business will never need to pay hackers ransom to get critical data back.
- Your business will avoid data loss - from ransomware or other - since backups are taken frequently and can be restored quickly.
- Your business won’t experience significant downtime (since users can access critical data and applications while primary systems are being restored).
To learn more about ransomware, including the common types and more interesting facts and figures, download our eBook: Ransomware Made MSPeasy: The MSP’s Guide to Saving the Day.