December 10, 2020
How to Backup Gmail - Automatically
What is Gmail backup?
Gmail Backup is the practice of regularly copying data created in Google Gmail to a secondary cloud location. Backing up Gmail enables fast restores of emails and attachments, as well as user settings and preferences. Google Mail backup protects against data loss associated with user error, accidental deletion, ransomware attacks, and Google outages.
Why Backup Gmail?
As organisations increasingly move data into cloud-based applications, many believe that traditional best practices such as data backup are outdated. And, it’s true that Google has measures in place that ensure it won’t lose Gmail data. However, the company doesn’t guarantee that it can restore Gmail information if an end user loses it.
The leading cause of Google Mail data loss? You guessed it: End-user error. Other common culprits include:
- Malware or ransomware attacks
- Malicious end-user activity
- Accidental data overwrites
- Canceled account subscriptions
Cloud based email providers actually recommend third-party backup to protect against these threats. This is commonly referred to as the “shared responsibility model” for data protection.
An independent, third-party, backup solution like Datto SaaS Protection is the best way to protect organisations against the most common data loss pitfalls. Additionally, many businesses must retain email for extended time periods to meet compliance mandates.
Datto SaaS Protection offers the ability to retain user emails at a considerably lower cost than maintaining Google Workspace licenses.
Request a demo of SaaS Protection
How to manually backup Gmail data
- Go to myaccount.google.com
- Under Privacy & personalisation, click on “Manage your data & personalisation.”
- Scroll down to “Download or delete your data.” Click on “Download your data.”
- This will take you to the Google Takeout page. Under “Select data to include” check the box next to Gmail and any other apps you want to back up. Then click “Next step.”
- To decide how you want to receive your data, click the arrow underneath “Delivery method” to see your options, including emailing a download link or adding it to your Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, or Box.
- You can also choose whether to export just one time or every two months (for up to a year), and you can choose the type of file and the maximum file size. (If the file size is larger than your maximum, it will be separated into multiple flies; and any files larger than 2GB will use the zip64 compression format.) After you’re done making your selections, click “Create export.”
- Your export will start. Be prepared to wait; it might take days to finish.
Although this is easy enough as a one-off this is not scaleable for multiple clients and doesn't solve the problem of recovering data in a disaster. A better solution is to use an automated third party solution such as Datto SaaS Protection.
Where does Datto fit into Gmail backup?
Some organisations choose to manage Google Workspace backups in house, while others outsource the process to an IT managed service provider (MSP). Datto SaaS Protection for Google is a backup solution designed specifically for MSPs to deliver reliable backups to SMBs.
How to backup Gmail with Datto?
Gmail backup with Datto SaaS Protection is simple and straightforward. With just a few clicks, Partners can purchase SaaS Protection licenses and begin protecting clients’ Gmail data. Once configured, backing up gmail is managed via the same portal as Datto endpoint and server backups. This eases management and increases MSP efficiency.
Benefits of Datto SaaS Protection for Gmail backup
Datto provides MSPs complete confidence that their clients’ Google Workplace (formally G Suite) data is protected. With our reliable and robust SaaS Protection solution we help you reduce risk and the time needed to manage backups.
Datto SaaS Protection for Google Workspace delivers:
- Automated, continuous backups. 3x daily Google Workplace backups
- Streamlined client onboarding. Setup is fast and easy with a straightforward click-through onboarding process.
- Point-in-time restore and export. Quickly restore or export emails from a specific point in time before a data loss event occurred.
- Non-destructive restores. Quickly identify and recover individual objects or entire accounts with related records and folder structure intact.
- Flexible retention. Save money and effort by preserving inactive Google user data with SaaS Protection for as long as you need it.
Datto SaaS Protection is designed to make cloud backups efficient and profitable for MSPs to deliver as a service.
With Datto SaaS Protection, MSPs get:
- Smart management portal. Quickly and easily manage which licenses are in use, gauge profit, and view clients’ backup status all from one location.
- Backup monitoring: On-demand retrieval of events such as backup, export, or restore.
- Admin audit log: Maintain a detailed record of all administrator and user actions from your admin dashboard.
- Predictable profit: Build margin with bundled solutions that include protection for clients’ Google Workspace data.
- Simple, per-license pricing: Deploy licenses across end clients, and redeploy them as needed.
- Marketing and Sales Support: Launch pre-built SaaS Protection campaigns, access a library of co-branded content, and manage your leads from prospect to sale
How to get started with Datto's SaaS Protection Gmail Backup Tool
Datto SaaS Protection enables MSPs to restore lost client emails quickly with flexible restore options. It enables MSPs to efficiently deliver Gmail backup to customers and build margin that increases profit.
To learn more about SaaS Protection and how it fits into your managed services business, schedule a demo today.